Submit Your Play
Chicago Dramaworks strives to be the voice of Chicago's diverse theatre community. We publish shows of any length and genre, suitable for any type of organization or theater. Plays submitted to Chicago Dramaworks should have been developed in Chicago or written by a Chicago-area playwright.
Your play will always belong to you.
While our editors will check and correct grammatical errors within your script, we will never ask you to change your plot or characters. We respect you and your work - and we won't bully into changing your script dramatically.
Publishing with us is not a life sentence.
We're glad you chose our company and hope you are happy calling us home. However, with so much talent, offers are bound to come from other places. After a certain amount of time (detailed in your contract) you will be welcome to withdraw from your agreement with Chicago Dramaworks at any time. We believe in you and want you to be successful - even if you feel you must go elsewhere to be so.
- We are only taking electronic submissions at this time. If you would strongly prefer a physical submission, please contact us.
- You must own all materials within your script.
- Your play must not be previously published as part of an exclusive agreement.
- We do not accept treatments or drafts. Your submission should be your completed play.
- We have no issue with you submitting to other companies simultaneously. If you get a competing offer, please let us know and we will expedite the process of reviewing your play. If you take an offer with another company, please let us know immediately so we do not continue spending time reviewing your submission.
- Your play should have a clear, consistent format that is easily readable.
We will send you a confirmation email to let you know we have received your submission. We will then get back to you as soon as possible - typically between two and three months. We will always respond with a decision. If you haven't heard back from us within 90 days, feel free to contact us.
By submitting your play for consideration by Chicago Dramaworks, you acknowledge and agree to the following:
- Chicago Dramaworks is in no way obligated to publish or consider your play.
- Chicago Dramaworks will not publish or license your play without a signed agreement between both parties.
- You confirm that you own 100% of the material present in your play, or have been granted permission to use it.
- You agree to take full responsibility for all claims, demands, costs, and liabilities that arise in connection with a breach of this Submissions Disclosure.
Cover: Wild by Crystal Skillman. Photo by John Saponara.